1. Always interpret Scripture literally unless it is clearly indicated that the author intended otherwise. We must determine the author's intention and not our own opinion.
2.. The term son of God does not indicate deity, but "Only Begotten Son of God" means Eternally God. (Eternal means not created)
3. Interpret all Scripture in the light of the book in which it appears and in harmony with the entire Bible.
4. The most reliable Bible commentary is the Bible.
5. By isolating Scripture verses we can prove or disprove anything or nothing.
6. Do not add to, take from, or change God's word, in any manner.
7. "No prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation." II Peter 2:20
8. Do not formulate a doctrine from one portion of Scripture, to the exclusion of all other doctrine.
9. A statement of truth, eliminates or opposes only that which is contrary and does not effect anything that is compatible with it.
10. If it is not possible to interpret literally, because it is so stated, or definitely implied in the context, totally unreasonable in the light of all other passages, contradicts the general theme, or is contrary to the natural order of things, it must be understood to be figurative.
11. Figurative language will illustrate truth when interpreted in the light of literal language pertaining to the same subject matter.
12. We must not confuse the rules for interpretation of words with the rules for interpretation of verses.
13. Each word must be assumed to have a literal meaning, and according to common usage, unless definitely proven that the author's intent was otherwise, with the burden of proof upon the person claiming the departure from the conventional method.
14. The meaning of a word relative to a set of facts is accepted as the true meaning, when the facts are identical in any other passage.
15. Interpret each word of the text in the light of the true Bible meaning.
16. Always interpret a word according to its common usage at the time written, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
17. Interpret each word according to the concept, intent and purpose of the author, or the person the writer quotes.
18. Every word has only one true meaning in the passage where it is used, and if that meaning conflicts with any doctrine we must decide whether to follow the Bible or the doctrine.
19. Interpret each word as the person to whom it is addressed would have interpreted it, unless the context plainly shows that the addressee was an exception, or that there was no mutual understanding between the parties.
20. A word must be interpreted figuratively if a literal interpretation would oppose Scriptural harmony, present an impossibility or does not make sense.
21. If a word is defined in the Bible, that definition will take precedence over any other definition.
22. A true Christian should believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, and that every doctrine taught is true and infallible.
23. The Bible contains everything that we need to know for Eternal Salvation.
24. The Bible can be given a false meaning when a simple self explanatory statement is interpreted from a biased or prejudiced rational, spiritual, symbolic, or minimized viewpoint.
25. Any rational view that contradicts a Bible miracle is a product of unbelief.
26. False teachers deny plain Bible truths by giving a spiritual interpretation where such was never intended. (For example, note the term, "Christ consciousness" substituted for the words, "The Lord Jesus Christ.")
27. Jesus always used things with which men were familiar to illustrate things with which they were not.
28. Never accept any statement as true unless it can be verified unquestionably in the light of the entire Bible, after a through search of the Scriptures, based upon the original text.
29. Teach as doctrine only the things which are clearly stated in the Holy Writ, and remember that you have no authority to speak the opinions of men, without stating that it is an opinion.
30. Study the Bible with an open mind and prayerful attitude, seeking truth rather than "proof texts" for human doctrines, or preconceived ideas.
Call Us: 913-481-7074
Copyright 2014. Evidence for Jesus Christ.org. All Rights Reserved.